Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ground Zero Mosque an Issue

Republicans Seek to Make Ground Zero Mosque an Issue in November Elections - Bloomberg

“As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as everyone else in this country,” Obama said at the dinner. “That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan in accordance with local laws and ordinances.”
I agree, it's an important right for ALL Americans. But apparently some under-educated people don't think so:
Nationally, 68 percent of Americans said they opposed building the mosque two blocks from the target of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, in an Aug. 6-10 poll conducted for CNN.
Maybe they are not aware of this:
Representative Jerrold Nadler, a New York Democrat, said the federal government shouldn’t put any pressure on local officials regarding the mosque. There is a mosque in the Pentagon, also a target of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, which hasn’t drawn any criticism, Nadler said.
I worship as I please every Sunday. I want other people to be free to do the same, at whatever place they choose. It's not like only white Christian men were killed on 9/11, so why the opposition? Maybe because of this:

While Republicans may not mention the mosque in campaign ads, they likely will include it as part of a larger narrative that Obama is “outside the mainstream,” said John Feehery, a Republican strategist and president of the Feehery Group political consulting firm.
It's being used by fear-mongering Republicans to push their candidates. How ugly, how sad, and how disrespectful to the people who lost their lives that day.


  1. This has been driving me nuts all weekend. I pride myself on seeing both sides of a story or issue but I just don't understand the logic of the opposition to this. I think I'll be blogging about this issue today.

    Thanks Geo lady!

  2. Ok. Posted. After rereading your post- I think we are on the exact same page. It is all fear mongering and it drives me nuts! Thanks for the push to put some thoughts down on e-paper.