Monday, August 30, 2010

Back in Class

It's the start of the second week of school, and I am still alive and kicking! In fact, although I am worn out, I am pleased with my classes so far. I have 5 Pre-AP geography classes, and 1 regular World Geography class. The 5 PAP ones couldn't be more different. One is full of Gifted/Talented kids who ask a zillion questions, always want to talk about and discuss what's happening around the world, and are ready to learn something new every day. At the other end of the spectrum is a class where getting them to participate in discussions is like pulling teeth. The regular class has a few kids who would be fine in PAP class, so we are able to generate some enthusiasm for the subject in there.
My favorite part of this year so far is the "no zero" policy - if the kid doesn't do their daily work/homework, they are choosing to come after school to Academic Triage to do it. I had 8 students in one PAP class who didn't do the assigned outside reading, so they better show up tomorrow after school or their parents will be getting a call. Hopefully this will put an end to students who fail because they don't do the work (99% of my failing students last year).
If the rest of the year is as good as the first week, I'll be a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment