Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Privacy

Our group met this morning to process what we have seen, and to discuss lesson ideas. I thought perhaps we might be being listened to, but wasn't sure. Turns out they are taping everything we say. Unfortunately some people commented on what our young translator had told them privately - thoughts likely to get her into trouble with the government. Nothing big, but still probably not considered appropriate to speak with foreigners about - like looking for information on the Internet about Tienanmen Square and not being able to find anything.
So after the break, when we saw the turning tapes, we decided to talk about how Vivian loves her country, is proud of it, etc. I hope that makes up for our earlier comments.
Pretty scary, though. I have to watch what I say in the classroom, because I don't want to influence the kids one way or the other - my goal is to help them learn to think for themselves. And I could run into trouble with parents and the school board, too. But I don't have to be afraid the government will lock me up or send me to a re-education camp for disagreeing with them. I can speak here, or Facebook, or on the street, and so can anyone else. I feel really lucky.

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar experience with the Chinese tour guides. They refused, however, to discuss my concerns about censorship etc etc. It was really strange to have someone abruptly end a conversation like that. You could read the hesitancy all over his face. It does make you appreciate the freedoms we have here in the US.

    ReplyDelete