Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lijiang to Beijing


I haven't really talked about Lijiang, not because I didn't like it, but because I just wanted to savor the time we spent there. It was really hard to leave - I hope someday I get the chance to return. Of all the places we've been, this was one I'd definitely recommend. The city was the eastern terminus of the Tea Horse road, linking Tibet and southern China, so in parts of the province Tibetan culture is very strong.
The Old Town is a tourist trap, but beautiful. It is known as the "Venice of China" because of all the canals that run through the town, and has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site. The climate is wonderful - it rarely freezes, and because it is so high it is mild during the day. There are some really nice hotels, and miles and miles of shops selling all manner of local handiwork, plus a lot of junk.
The area around the town is beautiful, too. We visited a high meadow, and saw an outdoor show similar to the "Texas" production at Palo Duro Canyon.

After several days in this peaceful place we had to leave. I'm glad this place was peaceful, because I needed that inner peacefulness to survive our flight(s) to Beijing. We took off in the late afternoon, never a good time to fly. After a very bumpy ride (enough that several times everybody in the plane sucked in their breath and went "ooooh" in unison) we were diverted to someplace southwest of Beijing due to the thunderstorms there. We sat on the tarmac for almost 3 hours - at least they left the a/c on. I was not feeling good - toothache- but we made it. Landed in Beijing at 10:30, over 2 1/2 hrs late, and got to our hotel at midnight.
3 more days, and I'll be home.
be safe,
rem

No comments:

Post a Comment