Friday, July 5, 2013

Experiencing the Monsoon, and Other Joys


The last day of the field trip, and we are caught in the monsoon downpours.  We have been very lucky so far, as this is the rainy season but we have not had any hard rains.  Until today.  And my umbrella is on the bus, so I wear my hat and duck my head, and hide my camera in my purse.
We are at one of the three jewels of Korean Buddhism, the Haeinsa Temple. This complex houses the Tripitaka Koreana, 80,000 wood blocks with all the Buddhist scriptures written down.  it is a UNESCO world heritage site.  It rained a lot of the time we were there, but it was beautiful with the clouds and water.  Very peaceful even with tourists.
We had a long drive back to Seoul, and most of us slept at least some.  We did stop at a rest stop along the way.  There are several of these along the highways, with stores, food courts, and restrooms.
In the evening we tried to go to Nandaemun, but it was pouring, so we ducked into a chicken place and ate one of the best meals I've had here.  Fried chicken with a curry-sort of coating, and pickled radishes.  We took a several-changes subway ride back to the hotel, and I spent the evening washing clothes in the bathroom sink.  I am hoping they will dry before I have to pack; with the rain I am not sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment