Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Voting

I was sitting in the parking lot outside the driver's license field office at 67 & Belt Line, and the guy next to me heard my husband and I discussing the hazmat endorsement on his Commercial Drivers License. Apparently Homeland Security is very involved with this, and makes truck drivers jump thru numerous hoops to get it ( plus big $). Anyway, we started talking about the 'state of the world' and the gentleman said he voted for Bush twice, but "the guy is the worst President we've ever had"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I refrained from saying 'I told you so' but it was hard.
I had on my Edwards 'Support the Troops/End the War' shirt and he said he agreed - and added as a corollary that Bush had run up more debt than any other president. The guy also got all worked up on the immigration bill - Bush's support for immigrants over the opposition of the Republican base. I didn't go into it, I think the bill is fine. I mean, do people actually think 12 million immigrants are going to leave our country because we pass a bill?
When my husband worked in Austin and supervised 3 crews of men from Zacatecas, (in 1984) they went home every November, and were saving to buy land in Mexico. Now the men can't afford to risk going home, so they bring their families here. Personally, I'd like to see a Constitutional amendment revoking the 14th Amendment, so that only people whose parents are citizens can be US citizens. We are one of a few countries who allow the people born here to be citizens. In the majority of countries the law of 'jus sanguinis' is followed - you have to be the child of a citizen.
Would that make a difference? Quien sabe? But it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment